Interior of a car from the drivers perspective

What to do if in a Road Traffic Accident Abroad

We talk about EU legislation that covers European holidaymakers should a road traffic accident occur.

Eurostat reported on the 5th of January 2018, that in 2017, 62% of Europeans took part in some form of tourism (i.e. travelling to another European country), making this a total of 1.2 million trips. With this high percentage of citizens from Europe travelling abroad, there is a high probability that this will also lead to a higher number of accidents abroad. It is estimated that 18-24% of accidents that occur abroad are mostly road accidents (reported by Be Travelwise, 2016). 

Many of us are unaware of our rights and entitlements if we have a personal injury or road accident claim in circumstances where you were in another EU country on holidays or as part of your employment.

Fortunately, within the European Union, legislation called the Fourth Motor Insurance Directive permits Irish-resident victims of road traffic accidents to sue in Ireland, even if the accident took place and person responsible lives in another member state of the European Union. This is assuring and of great benefit to give Irish people who enjoy driving trips to France or take the fly-drive to Spain, as they have peace of mind and reassurance should an accident occur.

At Flanagan & Co, we provide assistance and advice to those who have been unfortunate enough to have experienced a road traffic accident anywhere in the European Union. If you have any questions on the matter, feel free to get in touch and see how we can help.


Leave a comment